Saturday, June 14, 2008

Chicken Kavurma...

So, my sister-in-law Jennifer and mother-in-law Renee have been asking for the recipe for this dish that we like to eat here. We first had it at a restaurant that we frequent. I have no idea how they make theirs so I claim no true expertise, but we make something similar at home. I made it for lunch today, so I wrote down what I did and thought I would post it on here in case anyone else is interested. For those of you who know Dan well, you will be shocked that he likes this meal once you see what is in it. But I promise, he would eat it every week if I would fix it. Even more amazing perhaps is that Zeke likes it as well. Zeke is much like his father in his eating habits. They both believe the food pyramid was meant to be inverted! Anyway, here it is:

3 green peppers, finely chopped
1/2 onion, finely chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes
3 chicken breast, cut in bite size pieces
2 long, skinny, hot green peppers (Dan thinks it's the peppers that are in the Louisiana hot pepper sauce - ours come in a jar here) - you can put more of less based on your taste preference 1 lemon (squeezed)
olive oil
salt
garlic
thyme
cumin

Heat oil in a skillet. Saute green peppers, onion, garlic and salt until tender. Remove from skillet. Saute chicken in oil and garlic. Cook until done. Return pepper/onion mixture to skillet with chicken. Add the remainder of the ingredients and simmer until most of the juices have boiled off. I think mine probably cooked 20 minutes or so. Serve with rice . . . and here is the problem. You also serve it with this special, super thin bread called Yufka. You wrap the bread around bites of the rice and sauce to eat it. I don't know if there is something in the States that could be substituted or not. Maybe you have a suggestion. I did find a recipe on the Internet for it, but it seems like it would be a huge hassle.

The sauce stuff

Yufka


The finished product

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Tami, that looks very appetizing. I am going to have to try it.

Fred said...

That looks good! The bread is called "filo dough" in the states. It's the same stuff you make baklava with and you can find at a lot of grocery stores here, and if you live in a small town like ours, you can order it online.

Fred and Renee said...

You must make it for us next week. I love the way that sounds!!!!!!

Corey and Melody Cain said...

Yummmm! Sounds delicious!

amy said...

Fascinating! We'll have to try it!

Jennifer said...

We are having it tonight for supper! Can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Tami, I am so impressed. It looks better than the stuff in the restaurants. For those of you in the states you could eat it with Naan from Trader Joes. It isn't quite the same, but it would work.