Tuesday, September 11, 2012

2 days down

I know I'm posting a lot of school blogs this week.  Feel free to skip them, but I want to chronicle our journey, both to remember this time, and perhaps give someone else an idea of what to expect if they follow this same schooling journey for their child.

Yesterday was a bunch of announcements, so Zeke declared it to be, "boring and all talking."  This morning he mysteriously woke up feeling "sick" and did not want to go to school.  However, when it was time to go, he acted very mature and handled it well.  God has answered my prayers and gave Zeke a friend from the very first day.  He sat with a little boy who has been very kind.  Yesterday Zeke initiated a game of rock, paper, scissors.  He said that his friend taught him to play it in the local language today.  I am very grateful that he has already made this friend and home the relationship continues.  I think it's a very important step in this process.  

Zeke's teacher seems nice, but I think she is very anxious about having a kid in her class without any language skills.  Every time we have talked to her, she says things like, "I told him to ______ and he didn't do it."  Well, obviously.  Although he actually knows some of the commands she has told him, I would have to imagine it is hard to pick up a command among a bunch of words you have no clue about.  We've reassured her that we aren't concerned with academics, Zeke is actually pretty ahead academically through our homeschooling.  I'm hoping that as we continue, she will grow more comfortable with these circumstances.   

1 comment:

Fred and Renee said...

Please continue with the daily updates on school!! I want to know everything!! I too am pr-ying that the teacher will learn to love the experience of teaching a child with a different language base just like I did when I taught non English speaking children. The first time I did it I was also nervous, but it didn't take long to realize how much these kids add to the class experience.